St Ives is famed for its art connections. Bernard Leach and Shoji Hamada set up the Leach Pottery in 1920. Leach was a studio potter and art teacher, and is known as the "Father of British studio pottery". In 1928, the Cornish artists Alfred Wallis, Ben Nicholson and Christopher Wood met at St Ives and laid the foundation for the artists' colony. In 1939 Ben Nicholson, Barbara Hepworth and Naum Gabo settled in St Ives, attracted by its beauty. In 1993, a branch of the Tate Gallery, the Tate St Ives, opened. The Tate looks after the Barbara Hepworth Museum and her sculpture garden. The town attracted world famous artists from overseas, such as Piet Mondrian. The St Ives' artists produced some of the most exhilarating art of the twentieth century. For some years it was as famous as Paris, as exciting as New York and infinitely more progressive than London.